Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

Hi there. I am currently suffering with what I think is a

Hi there. I am currently suffering with what I think is a viral stomach bug. It has comprised of severe stomach cramps which are so bad I am doubled over in pain, and occasional mild diarrhea. The pain hits every 15mins or so ans is triggered if I lie any way other than flat on my back. The pain is centred around my stomach itself, but radiates out down towards my bowel and tummy button. Most of it is in the upper half of my abdomen. The pain is accompanied by a generalised nausea but never enough to actually make me vomit. I am thoroughly flattened by this, and having got 4 kids to look after need to be up and about asap - trouble is, if I move I am in agony. I also have a low-grade fever and body aches and pains.

My worry is that last year I had very large twins at 38wks, (9 and 8Ibs), and they separated my abdominal muscle, and it has never closed up completely, leaving a decent gap at the front. Since then, if I sit down crunched over i feel like someone has punched me in the stomach and winded me - I am left a bit gripey afterwards. I am concerned that somehow this could be a bowel problem because it isn't protected by that muscle and it has become damaged/twisted in some way. Forgive my ignorance if this is an impossible theory, it is just that I have had many stomach bugs over the yrs and none have left me with this agonising, wave-like burning pain and I am just checking this can be normal for a viral bug and nothing more sinister. Many thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 3 years ago.

Pauline :

How long have you had this for?

Pauline :

Do you have any particular tender areas on your abdomen?

Pauline :

On a scale of 1-10 (10 is worst pain ever,)...how bad is the pain?

Customer:

It began 16hrs ago, tho i did have much milder version of it 3wks ago which was barely there, but a similar cramping sensation. Ididn't have a fever then tho.

Pauline :

Any vomiting?

Pauline :

Sorry...you mentioned no vomiting.

Customer:

There are no specific areas of pain to the touch, and on a scal of 1-10 (comparing it to labour - that being a 10) this is an 8.

Pauline :

The pain is worse when you move?

Customer:

Definitely worse on changing position, or walking around

Pauline :

Have you had any alcohol recently....any history of gall stones?

Customer:

One glass of wine last night a few hrs before this started. I have approx 4-6 glasses a week, and I had noticed that the previous episode was triggerd after a glass of wine. No family history of gall stones

Pauline :

I feel that this is something you will need to see the out-of-hours doctor about. Severe pain that is worse on moving could be pancreatitis....does the pain get better if you sit sit but lean forward?

Pauline :

sorry...sit still...and lean forward

Customer:

No, it is only eased by lying down when an actual wave of pain happens

Customer:

It has gradually eased as the day has gone on, so the attacks are shorter, less frequent and less painful

Customer:

I am still in considerable discomfort when the griping does happen tho

Pauline :

It will need a blood test to confirm if this is pancreatitis, and although you say that it is getting a bit better, I would be happier if you were examined and checked over. Severe pancreatitis can be very nasty and lead to long term stay. Other possible causes of a colicky pain would be a gallstone, or even a kidney stone....although the location is not quite right.

Pauline :

Severe pain is not something to ignore, so an 8/10 is a automatic referral to a doctor I'm afraid. Is there someone that can look after the children?

Customer:

Could it not just be viral gastroenteritis then? Thanks for taking the time to answer btw

Pauline :

It could be...but the pain is usually in the lower abdomen when it is associated with diarrhea.

Customer:

My husband is looking after the kids, so I can see the out of hrs doc - I'm just not sure I can make it there and sit in a waiting room for hrs. Thanks for your thorough answer

Pauline :

If the pain is that bad....request a home visit!

Customer:

ok thank you

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.