DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

side/top of my middle joint on my left middle finger is very tender

The side/top of my middle joint on my left middle finger is very tender. It has been two months and is ever so slightly showing a bump. It seems to be getting more tender. The change is very slow. The sensation has been subtle, but is bugging me more lately.... Since it started, I have been trying to think of a moment when I could have hurt it, I can't think of anything, and anyway, it's been so long it seems like it would have gone away by now.

any thoughts?

Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
This can be a type of node that is associated with osteoarthritis.
It can be a cyst.
It can be a growth on the cartilage or bone.

A simple xray will help define this.

If you go to an orthopedist that can be done right in the office and this can probably be narrowed down to the accurate diagnosis.

Some cysts have to be removed, and tumor, even benign, probably would have to be removed.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.