Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

My dad is 82 years old, got prostate cancer three years before,and

My dad is 82 years old, got prostate cancer three years before,and at same year he got his operation and cut entire prostate. So far he just rely on Casodex to keep his PSA at a very low level, but we are worried about when the Casodex becomes independent, is there any other medicines we can use or any new ways? We heard there are quite a lot people with problem on prostate use Saw palmetto extract, is this herb extract helpful with my dad? Thank you so much for your help, please give us some ideas!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer...

Saw palmetto has been advocated by many, but a significant clinical data lacks to support its clear cut efficacy in prostate cancer...

Because a high-fat diet is linked with a higher incidence of prostate cancer, a low-fat diet may be beneficial for patients with prostate cancer...

There are certain food that are particularly helpful in this situation...

These include;

Tomatoes

Broccoli

Green tea

Soy

Lycopenes

Licorice root

Selenium

Moreover, antioxidants may also help...

He should remain in a close follow up with his treating doctor to monitor any recurrence and its immediate management...

Kindest Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response, actually my dad is having quite a lot foods or extract you mentioned. But the most important matter is when the Casodex becomes independent, what we should do, is there any new medicines or ways we can use so far? Thank you so much and waiting for your reply

There are a number of medications that have been used effectively...

Moreover, this is an ongoing area of great research and new drugs and treatment are continuously being evolved...

I can name a few, but i think the best way to proceed further is to have a consultation and follow up with an oncologist who has a special interest and experience in prostate cancers...I think he will be the bets person to assist you in the best way, as treatment for each patient has to individualized...

Kindest Regards...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still thank you so much for your help, but we hope at least we can get some new inforamtion. I think you can understand how is my dad feels, he really want know at present whether there are some other new medicines and treatments which can help him. Thank you so much!

Here are few medications that are used now a days;

Docetaxel (Taxotere) is the drug of choice in patients with advanced prostate cancer that has become hormone refractory...

Mitoxantrone is used in combination with prednisone or hydrocortisone...

Suramin is helpful via growth factor inhibition..

Cabazitaxel and Sipuleucel-T (Provenge) have been recently approved...

Gene therapy is currently being under investigation and promises and great help when become available...

I hope this helps...You can discuss these drugs individually with his oncologist...

Kindest Regards...