Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
A new question is answered every 9 seconds chest, sometimes extending around to my back

Customer Question

About three days go - maybe four - I had these regular, but mild spasms near my sternum. Since then, they have gotten increasingly severe. Now I get a burning sensation just below my throat and in a second, I am doubled over with a very sharp, painful spasm across my chest, sometimes extending around to my back. When I swallow, even just saliva, it feels a bit like I have swallowed a pill that didn't quite make it down. I thought I may have thrown something out in my back and it was pinching a nerve or several nerves. So I went to the chiropractor today, and indeed, my lower back was out. So my back feels better but the chest spasms are worse. A couple of notes: my blood pressure has been elevated the past month (used to be 110/80 - last few weeks it has been 148/97 or so). I am on mirapex and clonazapam at night for Restless leg syndrome. I take bupropion XL and paroxetine in the morning. Mid day I take D-amphetaimine (ADHD). I am 55 years old, female, 5'1" and 125 pounds.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.

The symptoms you have described can be due to angina.It occurs when heart is not getting enough blood and oxygen.Stable angina isn't a heart attack, but it makes a heart attack more likely in the future.Another possibility is of GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease).It is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.Also there is associated gastritis.

All types of chest pressure or chest pain should be checked by the doctor to rule out any heart disease.You need some blood tests & EKG.,stress test. holter monitoring test,endoscopy,barium swallow,esophagogastroduodenoscopy.Also you may need CT coronary angiography. I advice you to to go to ER for these tests to rule out heart disease & know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.