A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am looking to re-enter the nursing field after a 19 year

I am looking to re-enter the nursing field after a 19 year absence. I was recently given an "active" nursing license from the state of TN, as I am in compliance. Having difficulty finding employment and was wondering where I might start, to rekindle the necessary skills and gain experience.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Have you checked with the local community colleges or hospitals to see if they have a refresher course for nurses? I know that Vanderbilt has an excellent refresher course, but sometimes smaller colleges do as well. Below is a list of all refresher courses approved by the Tennessee Board of Nursing. Be sure to note that some are for LPNs versus RNs. http://www.uthsc.edu/nursing/continuing%20education/documents/Approved%20refresher%20courses.pdf

Nursing is nothing at all today like it was 20 years ago. I would with all respect doubt that you would be able to obtain a job as an RN without a refresher. Just attending a refresher course is also a great way to get into the hospital system associated with the course. Seeing you in action is far more powerful than an out-of-date resume.

Good luck!