A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I am looking to re-enter the nursing field after a 19 year

I am looking to re-enter the nursing field after a 19 year absence. I was recently given an "active" nursing license from the state of TN, as I am in compliance. Having difficulty finding employment and was wondering where I might start, to rekindle the necessary skills and gain experience.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Have you checked with the local community colleges or hospitals to see if they have a refresher course for nurses? I know that Vanderbilt has an excellent refresher course, but sometimes smaller colleges do as well. Below is a list of all refresher courses approved by the Tennessee Board of Nursing. Be sure to note that some are for LPNs versus RNs.

Nursing is nothing at all today like it was 20 years ago. I would with all respect doubt that you would be able to obtain a job as an RN without a refresher. Just attending a refresher course is also a great way to get into the hospital system associated with the course. Seeing you in action is far more powerful than an out-of-date resume.

Good luck!