911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

Would pain from DVT occur in the side and front of the calf

Would pain from DVT occur in the side and front of the calf muscle, or just the back?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

There's no 100% correct answer to this, but most of the time the pain is felting the back of the calf and behind the knee.

A DVT will usually produce selling in the calf and sometimes redness on the skin. The ONLY way ti finding you have one is by ultrasound (almost Impossible to Get a be offal these days).

The signs and symptoms commonly associated with DVT are notoriously unreliable predictors of DVT, so, I'd you are concerned, getting an ultrasound is the way to go.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What does 'selling in the calf' mean?
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.
Sorry... "swelling"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oops, should've figured that out Laughing I was also recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia, trying to figure out my 'normal' aches and pains from the ones I need to be concerned about.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.
No worries.... if you haven't been on a long trip recently where you had your legs immobilized for a long time.... if you haven't had recent surgery.... and if you have no history of clots, it is unlikely that this is a clot.

persistent pain with swelling should prompt a visit with your doc.

I hope this has been helpful to you and that I have fully answered your question. If so, please do click on the green 'accept' button so that Just Answer will forward my fee to me.

If you are pleased with my service you can request me anytime when you place your question, and by starting your question with "for 911DOC".

Thank you for your business and have a great day.