Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

I had a one time allergy shot for severe seasonal allergies

Customer Question

I had a one time allergy shot for severe seasonal allergies (they said that's all I would need). They have cleared up completely but I believe it's interacting with my add medication. Is this possible? Is there a way to counteract the injection?

How long will it be in my body?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.

Allergy injections usually stay in the system for about 2 weeks, if not less than that (depends on individuals metabolism). This medication should not interact with ADD medications, in fact there is some research that suggests these may actually help with ADD. There is no way clinically proven way to counteract this medication, rather than time. If you feel you are not getting the full effect of your ADD medication you should see your doctor about this as your doses may need to be increased.

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have switched from adderall to Vyvanse and it's still causing an adverse reaction... swelling of tounge, popping in ears, swelling of cheeks, rash/reddness. I have never experienced this prior and I believe it's due to this allergy shot/allergy medicine. What else could cause this?

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
You may be allergic to Vyvanse and not the allergy shot. If you are having those symptoms you need to take Benadryl every 4-6 hours to help. If it does not improve you may need to see your doctor for steroids to reduce the swelling.

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had prednizone/steriod injections + high doses of benedryl 4 times this month in hospitalizations due to allergic reactions and just in case we switched me from adderall to vynnase. I only started experiencing these side effects/reactions after taking high doses of allergy medication (over the counter+prescription) and then finally getting a one time allergy shot that the pharmacist said would "last the whole season"...
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
In this case you need to see an allergy specialist in order to figure out exactly what you are allergic to. It may not be the allergy injection, unless this specific one had substances along with the medication to which you were allergic to. Regardless of the fact that you have already been trested with steriods, etc you may need to be treated again if the symptoms are still there. And allergy testing is a must, given the fact that this is recurrent.

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In case it's relevant, I am allergic to the following: peanuts, shellfish, pennicilin, and mifepristone (all anaphalactic). Does that change anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
Unless you have had exposure to any of those recently it does not. It appears that you have another allergy that is not been identified at this time. And given your past anaphylactic history seeing an allergist is essential in your case.

Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have been reading about ADD medication interacting with/causing adverse reactions to with phenylephrine (found in some allergy medicine) and/or allergy medicine containing stimulants pseudoephedrine hcl... both ingredients that could have been in the allergy shot. What do you know about this?

Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to counteract the allergy shot that was given to me roughly 2 weeks ago??

Just this last question then I'll stop bugging you (and tip you!) :) Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
Allergy shots usually contain the allergens with which they think you are allergic to in a water solution base. They do not contain phenylephrine. In any case phenylephrine and combination with ADD medications cause increase CNS stimulation but do not cause further allergic reaction together. Epinephrine (or epi pen) can be useful in reversing the symptoms if necessary.

Regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, just please answer the last part of my question and I'll be satisfied... Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to counteract the allergy shot that was given to me roughly 2 weeks ago? Anything at all that I can do? Take?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
Epinephrine can be helpful. For this you need to see your doctor. But this is only to help with symptoms, only time will take it all completely out of your system.

Regards