DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

My 65 years mom is having problem in swallowing food,coughing

My 65 years mom is having problem in swallowing food,coughing while sleeps in horizontal position for last 3 months.recently she has undergone with BARIUM SWALLOW test and report is yet not arrived but it looks like the symptoms of CARDIAC ACHLASIA. i also came to know that in this situation , we can go for "heller myotomy" surgery as well as "nifedipine" medicine.here i would like to know the following :

1. Which option is best?nifedipine or the surgery?

2. Is this a serious or critical situation for us?

3. how much is the average estimated time of this surgery?

4. How many days would be taking in order to get a full discharge from hospital in this surgery?
Hello
Nifedapine..this is a good drug, it might relieve spasm, and surgery is invasive
It is not critical unless she chokes from this and aspirates..it does not sound like this is happening.
2 to 4 hours in the OR
2 to 3 days in the hospital
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.