Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

I have had a migraine for 3 months. Some days the pain is so

Customer Question

I have had a migraine for 3 months. Some days the pain is so bad I can't speak or think right. Is there anything pain management that might help
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer and thank you for your question.

Do you have family history of migraine headaches?
Do you have continuous pain?
Do you have Visual phenomena, such as seeing various shapes, bright spots or flashes of light?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes to all of this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes to all of this I have had MRI CT scans with in the last 6 months I have missed 5 working days in the last 2 months. Ireallyneed help.
Well, you need to be prescribed with these medications-

1. Triptans like- sumatriptan (Imitrex), rizatriptan (Maxalt), almotriptan (Axert), naratriptan (Amerge). It helps in relieving
pain, nausea, and sensitivity to light and sound which are associated with migraines.

2. Antidepressants- for example -amitriptyline, nortriptyline (Pamelor) and protriptyline (Vivactil) are often prescribed for migraine prevention.

3. When a patient can not be given triptans or ergot then he/she is advised medications containing narcotics, particularly codeine.

4. If symptoms becomes chronic and doesn't improve, then doctor advise for FDA approved Botulinum toxin type A. Here injections are given in muscles of the forehead and neck.

The exact line of treatment will be selected by doctor.

Please make an appointment with doctor for management of this issue. Good luck and take care.

Please click Green "ACCEPT" button on this page so that I get credit for my work. A BONUS is appreciated.
If you have other questions, please ask them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can not take triptans imetrex makes me very ill. As I said I am on keppra for prevention. This is the latest of a long list of preventive meds I have been on
You can be given Antidepressants- for example -amitriptyline, nortriptyline (Pamelor) and protriptyline (Vivactil).

Another drug- Cyproheptadine specifically affects serotonin activity, and is very helpful in migraine prevention.

There is a antihypertensive medication lisinopril (Zestril) which has been found useful in reducing the length and severity of migraines.
If symptoms becomes chronic and doesn't improve, then doctor advise for FDA approved Botulinum toxin type A. Here injections are given in muscles of the forehead and neck.

If you have other questions, please ask them

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took elivil for 2 years with no help. HBP meds drop my blood pressure to low as I already have low blood pressure.I have tried antidepressant with no help. The pain is chronic and nothing I have been given helps. This is why I am asking on here. I am either looked at as a drug seeker or just plan called a lier. I will not use Botox. Is there a better pain reilever med that will not give me a rebound headache.
Well, i know you have already been tried a lot of medications, and still not got good results. You can be advised these medications to prevent migraine headache, and to prevent headache-

-Flurbiprofen
-ketoprofen
Also Narcotics, such as codeine, can be prescribed.

You should also follow these tips-
-Avoid cigarettes, caffeine, and alcohol
-Exercise regularly
-Get enough sleep each night
-Relaxing and reducing stress in your life
-Eat regular meal.

Hope this helped.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I was given a answer that was not helpful all I was told was the something I had told the dr I have or had been given. The answer was is not worth me paying for.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Migraine is an area of large ongoing research and following are the new agents that have been used successfully in various clinical trials recently for migraine...

• TPM (a neuromodulator)
  • Tiagabine
  • Levetiracetam
  • Zonisamide
  • Carvedilol
  • Tizanidine
  • Botulinum Toxin
  • Petasites (a herbal extract)

You can discuss these with your Neurologist for further management plan...

Some of these agents are FDA approved and some carry an off-label indication...

I hope this helps you...

Kindest Regards...