DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director

I had Lithotripsy on August 17 this yr for a 88 mm calcium

I had Lithotripsy on August 17 this yr for a 88 mm calcium kidney stone. It had to be broken up into pieces to remove it (used camera). A wk later I was admitted to hospital for a UA showing initially 66 WBC's, moderate blood, Leukocysts, etc., it was decided that this was probably due to having had the Lithotripsy and not an infection (evn though I have a big hx. of alot of UTI's and Interstitial Cystitis over the years and Parkinson's as well. (Diabetes Type 2 also).

UTI/abd pain continued so an CT scan w/contrast was done 09/06/11 - it showed a mild obstruction of rt. ureter (probably from surgery) - so instead of surgery I was put on FLO MAX to get the gravel-type stuff and possibly another stone blocking my ureter. The radiologist also found focal sparing near gallbladder (which has been showing up for more than 2 years) - suggests a gallbladder problem as well. Am having an ultrasound of gallbladder on MOnday.

Howeveer, Flo - Max did relieve my pain after 2 wks of using it - went off it - pain came back - have had alot of CAT Scans so a neew one wasn't ordered just told to go back on FLO MAX for anoather month - which concerns me. Should I get a 2nd opinion - does the ureter need a new CAT SCAN to get a firm dx of what is going on at this point?

How many aare too many CAT SCANS w/ contrast & over what period of time? I am 63 year old woman wiwwth Parkinson's, diabetes, and hx. of bowel perforation/rupture also.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 5 years ago.
One full CT scan of the entire abdomen increases cancer risk slightly.
The CT you had was more focused than that.
If you don't get better it will be OK to repeat it.
For now, a simple ultrasound, cheap and with out radiation, can make sure there is no back pressure on the kidney, which is the main concern...then you could wait safely.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What I did not mention was I have had 10 CAT SCANS (with contrast) of abd and pelvis from summer of 2010 until end of that year and since Jan. 2011 I have had til now - maybe another 6 - they were all NEEDED - how serious is this in terms of cancer at my age?

It is still a slight increase in LONG TERM risk.
So they are prudent to wait.
Ultrasound and MRI should be used.
These were probably fairly focused exams.
You are an adult so risk less and calculating an exact risk of increase is not possible
However 1.5 to 2 percent of cancers are considered to be from over use of radiation.

good luck again