Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

Hi there, My girlfriend recently tested positive for Chlamydia

Hi there,

My girlfriend recently tested positive for Chlamydia and so I took the test and the result was negative. She had symptoms such as pain when urinating which led her to get the test but I had no symptoms.

She obviously claims she has not had sexual contact with anyone else. Is it at all possible she could be given an incorrect result?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Here is the problem - is that a Chlamydia test could be wrong, but also the test for a man is not usually that accurate UNLESS the swab goes into the penis ALL the way.
But, either way, I would make sure that both of you get treated with Zithromax no matter what.
And, then to prove who was sleeping around, well that is only known to each of you separately.
I hope this helps, but the botXXXXX XXXXXne, even if HER test is wrong, I would still treat BOTH of you with 1 gram of Zithromax.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

I think the point of the question was missed. The answer can be as simple as yes or no.

If she had symptoms and tested positive is it possible her test was incorrect and she is negative?

We have both since taken the antibiotics, so that is fine. It is just whether or not either of us ever actually had it that we are trying to determine.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Well usually women do not always have symptoms of chlamydia, but if the test is positive, I would tend to believe the test and treat.
There is no way to know for sure if she actually had it - but I say about 98% chance she did have it.
Please click on ACCEPT for helping you, thank you
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate