Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

When I stand up, I get sharp pain in the back around the waist

When I stand up, I get sharp pain in the back around the waist area and I feel my feet like stepping on many needles. This happened after a physiotherapist pressed my right pelvic girdle. I got a CT scan after that, but it didn't give clue for the cause probably because when doing CT scan, I had to lay down on a bed and at that position I won't feel any uncomfortable. What could be way to fix this?

Pauline :

CT scan is not always the best scan for possible nerve entrapment, a MRI would be better if you have symptoms of back pain with pins & needles in the feet. Although usually one foot would be worse than the other depending on the location of the trapped nerve or nerve root.

Pauline :

The first step is to have a full neurological examination which can map out the affected areas and determine if a MRI is needed.

Pauline :

You should try to keep moderately active, bed rest has been shown to worsen symptoms by causing stiffness. Keeping active is the best option. Regular analgesia such as panadol and ibuprofen should also be used in the short term.

Customer:

Thanks for the answer. But I don't think it's the best direction to go: if I follow this direction, I will very likely ended up in a surgery.

Customer:

I have found some exercises to do on the web, and by following them, my situation has improved from the worst. SLM Bodywork is claimed to be the way to go, but I haven't found a practitioner for that in my area, so not sure their claim is true or not.