Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

hi I m struggling with blocked/runny nose for years now. combination

hi
I m struggling with blocked/runny nose for years now. combination of sinus problems and allergy ! and am used to taking pills/sprays/saline wash ect ect...
what really bothers me above all is when i sleep, I feel perfectly fine, as soon as I get up (by getting up I mean vertical position) nose goes mad! this canhappen in the middle of the night if for any reason I need to walk to the kitchen or bathroom, or in the morning...suddenly nose gets blocked and I start sneezing!
it won t get better unless I take some drug!!
what s wrong with me?
anything I can do to improve ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer, greetings.You apparently have a chronic sinusitis/rhinitis problem.Regular use of decongestant drops and oral decongestant medication (which should not be used for more than 3 days)would lead to Rhinitis Medicamentosa,in which rebound congestion following use of these products often leads to use of more drugs and a chronic condition.This mayalso be a result of many factors including allergy,fungal infections,chronic bacterial infections ,swollen mucosa,and polyps and chronic sinusitis.You need to be examined by a ENT doctor who may prescribe longer than usual courses of Steroids (for upto 8-12 weeks) and antibiotics for upto 6 weeks apart from other therapy..A Fibreoptic Endoscopic Sinus examination may help detect obstructions and other local problems.Correction of a deviated nasal septum would help.Use of antihistaminics and Montelukast/Singulair ,along with NSAIDS like Ibubrufen may help.In chronic nonresponsive cases regular use of saline irrigation of the nose by a neti pot and saline solution will help. Yoga exercises to help clear the nasal passages will be of use in the long term and have helped many of our patients who were not being helped by drugs.