Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

an you tell me what i might have I have had a soar inside

Customer Question

an you tell me what i might have??? I have had a soar inside the back of my cheek all the way bak by the wisdom teeth and today i got a sore throat. My throat is really red and hurts and i also have a red vein looking line on my tonsil or that thing that hangs down in the back of my mout
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a fever?
Any pus spots on your tonsils?
Nasal congestion or cough?
Swollen glands?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
swollen glands..it hurts to swallow....its red and swollen and i also have a red line
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry you are not feeling well.

If you do not have a fever or pus spots on the tonsils, you most likely have a viral infection (viral pharyngitis).
A prominent blood vessel on the tonsil/uvula is not uncommon to see when inflammation is present.

The ulcer (sore) that you have also indicates that this is more likely to be viral in origin.
If your glands are large and you also have fatigue, mono (which is one type of virus) may be the cause of your sore throat. A monospot test can be done in an urgent care. There is no treatment for mono unless your throat is so swollen that you cannot swallow easily. In this case, oral steroids can be given.

Strep throat, which is bacterial, is more likely to be present when pus (white spots) is present on the tonsils, fever is present along with swollen gland and a lack of cough.
If you develop pus spots and a fever, you should go to an urgent care over the weekend for a strep test.

For now, use warm salt water gargles, ibuprofen, throat sprays/lozenges, warm and cold fluids to help soothe the throat.
If your pain is severe, an urgent care center can prescribe a numbing throat gargle that will temporarily soothe the throat as well. Also go to an urgent care if your tonsils are swollen to where they are almost touching or if you are drooling/having difficulty swallowing.

I hope that you feel better,

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!