Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

After a cat scan, I discovered I had tumor on my ovary, 10inches

After a cat scan, I discovered I had tumor on my ovary, 10inches by 6inches by 4inches. Gyn wants to operate to remove it, but I am sceptical about surgery. She says she can't tell if it's cancer until they remove it. What to do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Can you tell me why you are skeptical about the surgery?

Have you had any other tests done, and if so, what were the results?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 72 yrs. old and my family has history of cancer. I'm afraid if they open it up it will spread fast. The Gyn said the chances for it being cancer, at my age is greater.
Expert:  Valarie replied 5 years ago.
The idea that cancer will spread faster if you are "opened up" is a myth. Here is a quote from the American Cancer Society:

"One common myth about cancer is that it will spread if it is exposed to air during surgery. Some people may believe this because they often feel worse after surgery than they did before. But it is normal to feel this way when beginning to recover from any surgery. Another reason people may believe this is because during surgery the doctor may find more cancer than was expected from scans and x-rays. This can happen, but it is not because of the surgery – the cancer was already there – it just didn’t show up on the tests that were done. Cancer does not spread because it has been exposed to air. If you delay or refuse surgery because of this myth, then you may be harming yourself by passing up effective treatment."

Also, talk to your doctor about your fears. I am sure you are not the only one who fears this. :)