Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

Hello I am a 49 year old Asian female who lives alcohol-

I am a 49 year old Asian female who lives alcohol- and tobacco-free, and exercises moderately. Ever since Menopause arrived (and it hit me hard!), I have had an unbelievable array of discouraging conditions, which include disabling head aches, mid-night gastric reflux (huge belches and painful vomiting), and localized abdominal incessant coughing, which my allergist attributes to a cat, even though we'd had the cat for a while before all the coughing hit. For worst of all, I have had ZERO energy and capacity to get things done (menopausal depression?). My Ob-Gyn discouraged me from taking estrogen, referring me to some herbs that I've been taking since. My husband thinks estrogen would solve (at least in good measure) all these problems, that I should see a different Ob-Gyn and take estrogen. I'm desperate for a good answer. Thank you so much for this service. Pinprapa
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

Your symptoms that you describe (gastric reflux, belching, painful vomiting, abdominal pain, coughing) are not symptoms of menopause, so estrogen would not help this.

You should see your regular MD to be evaluated for these other symptoms. Perhaps a referral to a gastroenterologist may be needed. Stomach pain may indicate a condition more serious that should be investigated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your answer because it was very helpful. However, if I'm entitled to follow up, I will also ask if you think estrogen will help with my lack of energy and initiative? For instance I use to get so much done around the house -- and my husband and I went walking every day -- but now I get so discouraged just knowing where to start, and I can't walk with my husband very often because I get so winded and tired...almost right away! Do you think that's a menopausal thing that Estrogen would help?
There may be other causes of your fatigue, especially since you also say you get "winded" and tired with exercise. This doesn't sound like a menopausal issue. The problem is, at the age menopause starts, there are many other conditions that can come up as well. A good physical by your regular physician would help identify any other conditions you may need help with. Estrogen replacement is not for everyone. But, once you have everything checked out (thyroid, heart, check for anemia, to name a few), then explore the option of hormone replacement. Here are a couple of links with more information about menopause, and both include things you can do to help yourself at this time in life. Mayo Clinic