CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I use a 25 mg. Diphenhydramine HCI per night for severe allergies.

I use a 25 mg. Diphenhydramine HCI per night for severe allergies. What are the side effects. I am 75 years old
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am happy to help you today. While generally considered safe, it's important to know that Diphenhydramine HCI can worsen glaucoma, cause thickening of oral secretions ( would be bad if you have lung disease) can alter blood pressue, and can cause dizziness in some people. If you have none of these issues, then it should not present a problem for you. To be on the safe side.....Ask your Doctor to be sure he agrees with you taking this medication daily.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For about 6 weeks, I have been plagued with muscle pain in my left shoulder, then it goes down across my upper breast, or up my neck muscle or under my shoulder blade. The one time it left that area it was in my lower back and right hip. That lasted about 3 days. I wondered if the antihistimine would have anything to do with that, so that is why I asked.
No, the antihistamine should not have anything to do with that at all. I would recommend you let your Doctor know about this... may be muscle pain (?)

In the mean time.....there is a cream that works amazingly well. I have witnessed many patients rave about it's effectiveness.. patients with back pain, neck pain... carpal tunnell,, tendonitis etc.. it's Called Topricin and is only available at holistic medicine shops, health food stores and the internet. It works by decreasing inflammation, increasing circulation, and encouraging lymphatic drainage. Here is a link to read more about it: