CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I am a 38 y/o female and have had bad abdominal pain in both

I am a 38 y/o female and have had bad abdominal pain in both upper and lower right side. I just ended my menstrual cycle, but pain continues in lower right side. Also, bad belching and pain under my right ribs, especially after I eat. I had an ultrasound on abdomen (not pelvic) but I'm still waiting for results. I've also had nausea for 6 weeks now, no vomiting. I took 2 pregnancy test (one at home, one at the dr's), and both were negative (stick variety, not blood test). Blood work was within normal range.

I was told it could be the gallbladder (depending on ultrasound results), but was wondering why lower right side abdomen would be so painful as well.

I've also had low grade fevers the last few weeks (99.4 at dr's last week).

I've removed dairy, alcohol, chocolate, caffeine from diet.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Does the pain worsen after you eat?

CamilleRN :

I'm sorry.... you did say that it does. Gallbladder disease will cause pain in the right upper quadrant that typically worsens after meals....especially after meals that contain any fat.

CamilleRN :

The lower right may be unrelated... do you have problems with your bowels?

Customer:

yes, worse after meals in upper ride side

Customer:

not aware of bowel issue, but i did begin benefiber per dr's recommendation. Also, stool's have been light/clay colored for about 2-3 weeks now

CamilleRN :

if stools are clay colored this may indicate gallbladder irritation that may be causing irritation in the common bile duct, which is a tube that goes from the gallbladder to the liver. Sometimes stones and/or sludge can cause this. Is your pain worse than when you had your scan done?

CamilleRN :

If you have a fever it seems to me that you should go to the ER for an evaluation.... you may need to have your gallbladder removed.

Customer:

yes, it is. it seems to be becoming more acute as time goes on, and is generally in the evening, or after I've eaten. as i mentioned, i removed alcohol, dairy, chocolate and caffeine, but it still continues. i also stopped using naproxen. I don't have acid reflux.

Customer:

ok, thank you. i have an appt with primary on Friday, and have debated on whether i should just go to the ER...ultrasound was this past Friday, but then have to wait a week.

CamilleRN :

Are you still eating foods which contain fat?

Customer:

this issue has been going on for 6 weeks now, so am a little concerned

Customer:

yes, i was eating normally until dr said to avoid high-fat, spicy meals. have been eating a bland diet since

CamilleRN :

If you don't want to go to the ER tonight... stop eating any foods with ANY fat... see if that helps. But the fever is of concern... that indicate infection somewhere.

CamilleRN :

Can you call your Doctor?

CamilleRN :

and tell him that it is worse? He can get a wet read on your scan for faster answers

Customer:

bloodwork came back normal (wouldn't infection make blood work irregular?)...i will try eating foods without any fat as well.

CamilleRN :

yes.. an infection would show in your lab results

Customer:

i called today and let the front office person know the pain was worsening and they said results were in, but unless anything looked "out of the ordinary" i should just come to the Friday appt.

CamilleRN :

If the pain gets severe... or worsens.. please just go to the ER

CamilleRN :

to be on the safe side

CamilleRN :

do you get relief between meals?

Customer:

thank you for your answers...i've been trying to avoid the ER as my work schedule is quite busy

Customer:

however, i don't want it to get worse

CamilleRN :

I totally understand

Customer:

yes, relief between meals, but then nausea is worse

CamilleRN :

If you still get relief between meals then you may be able to hang on a bit longer. Do you know what labs they did?

Customer:

hmmm...not sure of the exact labs, but the dr did a physical...

Customer:

he mentioned kidneys looked fine,

Customer:

cholesterol good, no thyroid issue

Customer:

white blood cell count normal (is there where infection would be indicated?)

CamilleRN :

I wonder if they looked at liver enzymes to see if there is irritation from the possible gallbladder problem. At any rate... if you feel like you are getting worse do go to the ER.. ok?

Customer:

could the lower abdominal pain be related to the upper abdominal pain? i have had ovarian cysts in the past as well as a uterine fibroid about 2 years ago. could it "be back" or bigger? trying to decipher what the issue is with the lower ab

Customer:

yes, i agree...2 days away is still 2 days away. I have a copy of bloodwork at home. what would the liver enzyme test look like?

CamilleRN :

The lower pain is likely not related.. this kind of pain can be due to a cyst,as well as fibroids yes..

CamilleRN :

Cysts come and go... so even though one may have resolved, another can form.

CamilleRN :

Lipase, amylase

Customer:

i will look.

Customer:

thank you for your help

CamilleRN :

ok... you are very welcome. I really hope you feel better fast:-)

Customer:

thanks!

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.