drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health
9384716

My husband recently had an MRI with a neurologist. It was

My husband recently had an MRI with a neurologist. It was of the brain. He said my husband was having mini strokes because of teen smoking. Do you concur with this diagnosis. Should I get an MRI since I also was a teen smoker?

drknowsbest : Mini strokes or tias can occur due to elevated blood pressure, with age, with elevated cholesterol
drknowsbest : Increased risk in smokers yes but no way to draw direct connection
drknowsbest : There is no indicated screen MRI for smokers unless you are having neurological symptoms
drknowsbest : If you have not smoked since a teen very low likelihood to increase risk of stroke
drknowsbest : If symptoms of dementia then an MRI is indicated but otherwise not just because you smoked
drknowsbest : If no more questions please press accept
Customer:

Thankyou! I had been told no charge

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have changed his bp meds and the bp etr ccontrolled...does that mean he wil not continue with mini strokes?
If he has better control it is less likely but still no guarantee, usually the key is a plavix or Coumadin