Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I seem to have a case of stomach flu, but in addition, I mid

I seem to have a case of stomach flu, but in addition, I mid back hurts, and seems to aggravate the nausea when I sit back/lay down...
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

How long have you had these symptoms?

Has it ever happened before?

Have you noticed any food intolerances in the past, or recently?

Do you have only nausea, or do you have other abdominal symptoms? If so, what are they.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 days, no, no food issues, Severe abdominal pain, mid to upper back pain...
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.
Hi, sorry for the delay.

I could ask you some other more specific questions, however, since you seem to be having severe symptoms I will just give you my thoughts now.

Commonly, abdominal pain that goes through to your back, and associated nausea suggests that you may have gall bladder problems, pancreatitis, gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining), or an ulcer.

The best thing for you to do is to have this evaluated medically as soon as possible.
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hesitate on those, only because My girlfriend has had the same issues, minus the back pain...
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.
OK. If your back pain is coincidental, the probable cause would be a viral infection which will run its course in time.

The back pain associated with any of the above issues would be at about the same level as the abdominal pain in most cases. This may help you differentiate between pain that is referred from an abdominal problem, and back pain associated with a back injury.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any medication suggestions to help this run it's course?...
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.
For nausea with abdominal pain, it would actually be better not to take anythng. You may also develop diarrhea if it is a gastroenteritis (usually viral) type of infection. You could try some PeptoBismol....it seems to work as well as anything.

If your stomach can handle it, you can take acetaminophen (Tylenol) per package directions for the back pain. Given that you have nausea and a possible inflammation in your stomach, you should avoid NSAID's (ibuprofen, advil, etc) or aspirin.

Ginger ale (with real ginger in it) also will help the nausea.

Don't eat much of anything, maybe some soup. But drink plenty of fluids...water, juice as tolerated (but not citrus), and tea.

If the abdominal pain gets worse (especially associated with worsening back pain), you develop vomiting that lasts more than 24 hours, you develop diarrhea with blood in it, or you develop a fever...you should still seek medical attention right away.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!...
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome, and thank you! I hope you feel better soon. :)