Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
16698619

Hi, my friends daughter suffers from autism, im not sure

Hi, my friend's daughter suffers from autism, i'm not sure if it is related or not, but she has a fear of pooping and hasn't had bowel movements in the past 3 weeks because of this. She is 6 years old and she really needs help. What can she do about this and also are there any websites she could look up for some help/advice? I myself have been looking for some time and haven't found much about this problem.

I suggested fruits and supository treatment but her daughter is very difficult eating anything so I don't know what else to suggest.

Thanks in advance
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome. If the child has not had any bowel movements for 3 weeks, the problem has gone well past any help that you may get from a website. She needs medical care at this point to resolve the problem, and maybe even some tests to determine if there is a physical cause for her constipation. Once the current bout of constipation (or possible bowel obstruction) is taken care of, there are things her mother could do to help prevent constipation going forward. Here is a link to a good website: Constipation in Children
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Valarie, thank you for your prompt reply and the help you are providing. Her daughter is afraid to poop, has been for some time but 3 weeks ago has started to refuse to go to the loo for reasons that I do not know. I don't know why she is scared of it. My friend told me it isn't constipation, well at least she doesn't think it's constipation. It could well be her autism blocking her from being comfortable but I think i agree with you, she does need medical help and the sooner the better. It might just be psychological but it needs to be treated as soon as possible. I will forward your replies to my friend. I really appreciate your help and the link you provided, thank you
Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome. And my best regards XXXXX XXXXX and your friend.