Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

The back right side of my tongue hurts. Why

The back right side of my tongue hurts. Why?

You have probably developed Tonsilitis - inflammation of the tonsils.

You will need to take antibiotics for a cure. Till you see a doctor, please take Ibuprofen tablets 200mg thrice daily and gargle with warm saline water twice a day. You can also use Hexidene mouth wash - it is an antiseptic mouth wash available without a prescription.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask a followup question if necessary. If not, please click the green 'Accept' button on this page. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not to question your knowledge but is tonsillitis common to be only on one side? I have had strep on a regular basis and I know that would attack my whole throat.
Yes, tonsilitis can occur on only one side - in fact, it is more common to get tonsilitis on only one side rather than bilaterally.

I hope this helps.