CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

How long should it take for gums to heal and stop hurting after

How long should it take for gums to heal and stop hurting after full mouth extraction of teeth. I am 4 days post-op and the pain is still unbearable. I can only wear the top denture (immdeiate dentures) since my lower gums are so swollen. The sutures are beginning to dissolve.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a Verified Expert and am happy to help you today. Were your dentures inserted immediately after the extractions? The problem with taking them out is the tissue is allowed to swell and the dentures will not fit until the swelling subsides ... it can take up to two weeks for this swelling to go down enough to insert the denture again. Rather than to continue to try to put the lower denture in.... It would be best to allow healing. Your dentist can reline the denture for you as soon as the pain subsides and you are able to tolerate the denture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, my upper denture was inserted as soon as I got to the dentist's office from the oral surgeon's. The dentist said that it would be too painful to put the lower denture in until the swelling subsides, so I have not worn the lower one at all yet. I did try to insert it a couple times, but it hurt too much. My dentist says it is not a problem to wait, and just try to get used to the upper. Some of the sutures in the bottom feel like barbed wire. I see the oral surgeon for a checkup on Wednesday. I will be out of pain medication in a day or 2, and I don't know how I'll be able to stand the pain. I have already had adjustments made for a couple "sore spots" on the top. Would it hurt anything to use Orajel or one of those numbing gels? The dentist said no adhesives until the gums have healed because they tend to get in the places where the teeth were removed. I don't know if I made a mistake going the immediate denture route. I never dreamed it would be this painful.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry you are having so much pain. It would not hurt to use a little bit of BABY ORAGEL... but it probably won't help much either. Have you tried cold water..not swishing it, but just letting it it in your mouth for a bit, let it run out...don't spit because this can cause a dry socket. I don't know what pain medicine you are taking, but ibuprofen 800mg works great for extraction pain...please call your Doctor and ask him if he would authorize this. The usual dose is 800mg every 8 hrs..but don't take it unless he agrees.
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.