Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

RE Problem I suffer from panic attacks ocationally.Currently,

RE: Problem: I suffer from panic attacks ocationally.

Currently, I am taking 5mg of Lexapro and it works ok.

Question: What supplement over the counter can I take to stop taking Lexapro. I am concerned that Lexapro may have too many side affects in the future? Is 5-HTP OK to take of the 50mg or the 100mg.

Thanks,

Lou
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

I am sorry you have not gotten an answer to your question sooner, it seems that your question was placed in the wrong category and only recently transferred to a health category.

There are no over-the-counter medications which will work the same way as Lexapro. Lexapro has no known long-term side effects, it does not cause dependency or addiction and it is one of the best tolerated medications used for anxiety.

I would certainly discourage you from stopping Lexapro and turning to over-the-counter herbal medicine. Herbal medicine also has lists of side effects that we do not fully know about since those medications are not FDA investigated. Also, there is no guarantee that it will help with anxiety.

If you are tolerating Lexapro 5 mg well, I would strongly encourage you to stay on that.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss