Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

My adult daughter has just been diagnosed with West Nile from

My adult daughter has just been diagnosed with West Nile from mosquito bite. She has been ill about 2 weeks. Do you have anything you would suggest to help her with this illness?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

I am sorry that you have not received an answer in a timely fashion. It seems that your question was placed in the wrong category and only recently transferred to the health category.

Most people who are infected with West Nile virus have mild symptoms and have spontaneous recovery from it. Taking over-the-counter medications for fever and body aches, such as Tylenol or Advil, can help to reduce fever and body aches. Also good hydration is recommended.

A small subset of patients who are infected with West Nile virus will develop complications on the brain (inflammation of the brain tissue). Symptoms of that include headaches, confusion and sudden weakness. Even though there is not much that can be done to cure brain inflammation, people do need to be admitted to the hospital to receive proper hydration and prevent other infections.

Sorry for such lengthy explanation but the botXXXXX XXXXXne depends on how sick your daughter is. If her symptoms are mild, over-the-counter medications (Tylenol, Aleve) and good hydration will help her. If she is very sick, unable to eat or drink or has the above listed symptoms of brain inflammation, she needs to be admitted to the hospital for IV hydration.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Again, I do apologize for the delay in receiving an answer to your question.

Best wishes and good luck,