Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

was just put on lexipro..not feeling very well..have not been

was just put on lexipro..not feeling very well..have not been able to eat..how soon do these meds kick in
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Do you have anxiety?
What else is going on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr Owen..not much anxiety..lots of crying,haven't done that in years..Bad sleeping,I just want to get better sir. This has taken the wind out of my sails. I am a rtired auto worker and my daughter is married to a trauma surgeon.. It is very hard to reach out.Thank You Doc
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Are you trying to get off the lexapro, or just trying to find some relief?
Are you still married?
Do you have a good relationship with your daughter / son in law?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not married anymore..Thank the good Lord. My Daughter and Son in law just moved to Colorado for him to open his practice.. We have not spoken because i drank. she was a florida st cheerleader and I am very proud of her..I not am proud of myself..Just got put on the lexipro..Hoping this relationship can be repaired..
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Are you still drinking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, was sober 5 years..picked up again after the divorce..I am a binge drinker..I opened a recovery shop and helped many fellow aa members..
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Dr. Owen opted out so I will try to answer your question.

Unfortunately Lexapro takes 2-4 weeks before the levels build up in your blood and you start feeling improvement in your mood and overall condition. Lexapro is not an immediate-acting medication but it is a very good medication, so please do not give up on it just yet.

I would recommend that you speak to your prescribing physician about your symptoms. If you experience a lot of anxiety, there are some medications such as Xanax, that can give you immediate relief in your symptoms. If you experience Insomnia (trouble falling or staying asleep), there are immediate acting medications which can help as well. But with Lexapro, it does take time to kick in and start working.

Also, just as a side note, alcohol is a depressant, it will make your depression symptoms worse. Even though you may feel better at the time you are drinking, in the long term it will only cause more depression. Try to stay away from it as much as possible.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss