Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I noticed last night a dark spot on my uvula. I think it looks

I noticed last night a dark spot on my uvula. I think it looks dark purple to blackish in colour. It's flat, maybe 1mm in diameter. towards the top of the uvula and on the left hand side. I have dark veins in the back on my throat that look like the same colour. It's does not appear like a sore. I am wondering if it's anything to worry about?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.

Nurse Milli :

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Nurse Milli :

what is your skin color?

Customer:

I am white

Nurse Milli :

Ok, that makes a difference sometimes when determining what might be going on

Nurse Milli :

is this area raised?

Customer:

it does not appear to be raised at all, just under the surface of the skin

Customer:

I would even say it look like a dark brown frckle type of appearance

Customer:

or like something burst underneath the skin, like a blood vessel

Nurse Milli :

Ok, thanks. This area is prone to getting scratched by the things you eat...it could be a small area of inflammation where your throat got nicked by a chip or other food that was hard/scratchy. For now, I'd just watch it and see if it fades over times.

Nurse Milli :

*time

Nurse Milli :

if not, let your Dr take a look at it. Do you smoke?

Customer:

I dont smoke, or drink

Customer:

I do cough sometimes, as I have reflux at times

Nurse Milli :

Ok, good.

Nurse Milli :

that should be unrelated.

Nurse Milli :

it might also be vein that is superficial that you are able to see

Customer:

I do have dark veins in that area that appear to be of the same colour

Customer:

like spider veins appearance

Customer:

thats why I thought maybe a blood vessel burst maybe?

Nurse Milli :

yes, some veins can be visable in the uvula area (not the whole vein but a section of it)

Nurse Milli :

it could have

Nurse Milli :

that would be self-limiting

Customer:

Some morning I will wake up and fluid has filled usually the left hand side of the uvula

Customer:

but usually within hours it is absorbed back into my system

Nurse Milli :

oh okay, so you have swelling back there too at times?

Customer:

not so much swelling, if it's called that, just clear fluid will fill the left side, I saw a doctor a long time ago, and said maybe was an allergy and that the fluid will go back into the system

Customer:

it always does within an hour or so of waking up, but it never happens often

Customer:

just thought I mention that, as it involves that area

Nurse Milli :

well, in the case where you have this collection of fluid and now you are able to see a dark spot, I think I'd feel better telling you to have your Dr take a quick look at it to make sure everything looks ok (since I can't see it)

Customer:

ok, I am not sure I have had the fluid there for a while now, but I suppose for my own peace of mind I should see a doctor today

Customer:

I just dont want to keep doing web serches and seeing possble causes being cancer, etc. Does my head in

Nurse Milli :

well, it certainly can't hurt. Look at it this way, if you continue to see the spot in your throat after a few more days, I'd let the Dr take a look

Nurse Milli :

no, stop reading this stuff online for now. Just wait and see if the spot resolves on it's own.

Nurse Milli :

-give it a few more days

Customer:

should that uvula area be totally clear, or can there be permanent blemishes

Nurse Milli :

there could be spots on your uvula but the question is, is this spot new (did it just 'appear') or has it been there a while. If it's new -just appeared out of nowhere, then it's an abnormality.

Customer:

ok, then I am not sure, because it's an area that I have not closely examined before, and maybe I am looking at it too hard.

Nurse Milli :

you could be focused on it now since you just saw it

Customer:

Yeah I have, the back of the throat has allot of veins and marks

Customer:

So I have focus too hard on this

Nurse Milli :

yes, it is quite possible

Customer:

I suppose the only answer is to get a Dr to look at it and see if it looks dangerous

Nurse Milli :

whenever we see something like this, we tend to focus on it

Nurse Milli :

Yes, that is the absolute best way to find out exactly what is going on...online we can only speculate

Customer:

Ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I have exhausted all the possible questions I can ask

Customer:

Thanks for your assitance

Nurse Milli :

Ok thank you. Good luck with this

Customer:

ta

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.