Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Will Cefdinir cure a urinary tract infection Also, what about

Will Cefdinir cure a urinary tract infection? Also, what about combing Cefdinir with Trimethroprim? I get Uti's frequently so have tried alternative medicine with regular physician including combining drugs. He is not available being on vacation and I am unemployed without insurance but have full prescriptions of both drugs given to me by my physician. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

What are your current symptoms?
When did you last take antibiotics for a UTI?
What did you take?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Urgency and frequency are my symptoms, slight burning. I last took Cefdinir in Feb. I have been taking 100 mg of minocycline 3 times per week for a mycoplasma. I also interstitial cystitis. Other than that I have been trying to stay away from antibiotics of any kind because I am worried about resistance
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I understand the hesitancy of taking antibiotics.
With positive leukocytes on the test strip along with urgency, frequency and burning, you likely have a UTI. Plus, you know what the symptoms feel like.

Cefdinir and trimethoprim both can be used for a UTI although trimethoprim is used more commonly.
I would not take both as this can increase the likelihood for resistance.
Since you started the cefdinir already, I would take that for 5 days. If you are not better within 48 hours, stop it and either contact your doctor (which is the ideal choice) or switch to the trimethoprim.

Ideally, a urine culture should be done if you don't respond to the cefdinir.

You need to go to an urgent care if you develop fever and/or nausea/vomiting as these are signs that it has become a kidney infection.

I hope that you feel better soon,

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, but the problem with having a culture is that the antibiotic present in my blood seems "hide" the bacteria and it won't come up in tests. To flush it out of my body, I need a minimum of 48 - 72 hours antibiotic free. That presents another problem since it means I will be suffering 2-3 days without anything to alleviate the symptoms. Pyridiun helps with the burning sensation but it gives me the sensation of retention which is of itself is uncomfortable. I have another question, what about Cipro verses Trimethoprim for treating the UTI? I am kind of afraid of this class of medication due to the severe side effects being reported...tendon problems, neuro issues, etc. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
If you are still having symptoms, then the culture may still be positive despite the antibiotics (unless the bacteria is only partially resistant to the antibiotic you are on).
I do understand what you are saying though, and do not want you to suffer.

I also do not want you to wait 72 hours and run the risk of developing a kidney infection.

The risk of tendinopathy/tendon rupture is uncommon, although many more people complain of tendon/muscle pain than actually develop tendon rupture while on Cipro.
The risk of developing tendon problems while on Cipro is increased in people who are over the age of 60 and taking steroids.

I, personally, see more side effects with trimethoprim (if it is trimethoprim/sulfa) than cipro due to the sulfa component.

I cannot predict whether you will have side effects of either...I use cipro more than I use trimethoprim/sulfa simply due to the fact that I see more side effects with the sulfa.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have Trimethoprim without Sulfa. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Would that make a difference in it's effectiveness? I assume so or Sulfa wouldn't be added into the formula. I have a prescription of Trimethoprim, I also have Levaquin which I know is in the same class as Cipro, however I do not want to wipe-out all the bacteria in my body. Even so, I could get a prescription of Cipro pretty easily verses using the Trimethoprim(w/o Sulfa). Are you recommending the Cipro verses Trimethoprim w/o Sulfa in event that after 48 hours I don't have improvement and need to switch? If you could answer these questions I believe I will have everything I need to make an informed decision.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I did actually assume it was plain trimethoprim in my original answer.
If you have E. coli, which is the most common cause of a UTI, trimethoprim is active against it.

I would use Cipro, however, if you do not improve after 48 hours on the cefdinir. Cipro covers resistant E. coli and trimethoprim does not. It also covers a bit of a broader range of other bacterial causes of UTI.

dr abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD