Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

What causes your blood pressure in one arm to be 40 to 80 points

What causes your blood pressure in one arm to be 40 to 80 points higher than in the other
one? Right arm is higher than left.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 years ago.
A significant difference between the blood pressure in the arms is usually caused by a narrowing in one of the blood vessels that supplies the arm with the lower blood pressure.

You can think of this link a kink in a hose; the kink does not completely stop flow through the hose, but the water pressure coming out of the hose is greatly diminished. I would suggest asking your physician to refer you to a vascular surgeon for an evaluation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am on 3 blood pressure meds to lower my blood pressure. The left arm is now

in the normal range, but the right is very high. If the lower pressure is normal with

meds, why is the other arm so much higher?

The higher blood pressure is the actual pressure. The pressure in the other arm is lower than the actual reading because of a blockage that is preventing the full pressure from reaching the right arm.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can a blockage on one side cause numbing of both hands? It starts with the little

fingers and moves on to the rest of my hands. Burning sensation up to my elbows

and enventually the burning sensation goes up my whole arm if I don't wake up soon

enough. This only happens at night while lying down. Especially if I roll over on my

side. It happens if I lie on my left side, but happens quickly if I lie on my right side,

which is the side with the highest blood pressure. My left side is the lower one. I am

very confused and am not getting much sleep.

The numbness could also be caused by a pinched nerve from a herniated disc or arthritis in the neck.