Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

Could Warfarin cause erectile dysfunction My long-term partner

Could Warfarin cause erectile dysfunction?
My long-term partner has been taking Warfarin (due to a DVT on a flight back from Mexico) for about two years now. His blood readings fluctuate considerably, but without any marked change overall. Lately, he has been having problems maintaining an erection which is causing him (and me) great frustration and worry, as it never happened to us before and everything else in our relationship is fine.
Could Warfarin be causing this? Could he stop taking the Warfarin now? Would it be safe for him to take Viagra or something similar while still taking his regular doses of Warfarin?
Thanks in advance for advice.
Warfarin would be very unlikely to cause a problem with ED.
I would only recommend that stopping the coumadin under your own physician's guidance as only you and your physician have all the date in front of you to make that decision - and it could be dangerous to stop the coumadin and then have another DVT that could then go to lungs called a PE which could be quite dangerous.
I hope this helps, take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please could you answer the second part of my question:

Would it be safe for my partner to take Viagra or something similar occasionally while continuing with his regular doses of Warfarin?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Yes, there is no interaction between the two.
I hope this helps, thank you .