DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

it common practice for a dr to tell you to take it or go home

When a patient has concerns over drug interactions that are documented and is unwilling to take that particular medicine is it common practice for a dr to tell you to take it or go home and take tylenol. The medicine in question is ultram. The pharmacy pointed out that are serious interaction possibilities between it and luvox CR.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
not sure what your question is here?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am very concerned about the possible interactions with the above mentioned drugs. The interactions could be severe and i want to know if a dr can force me to except this medication as treatment when other options are available. In other words i was offered the ultram or nothing. Legal? Moral? can i lodge a complaint somewhere? The number of drug interaction deaths has risen dramatically over the years and part of reason is here.

This particular pair is "generally to be avoided."
You are quite correct to express a concern.
The doctor is under no obligation to offer you another drug, however, this is not good medical practice based on the fact that your concern is legitimate.

However if you were trying to dictate a specific drug to him this would also be inappropriate.
There is not an absolute contraindication to what he proposed.

I don't see an ethical or moral problem if tylenol is a good choice....certainly it is a safe choice.
The complaint would be filed with this boss, whoever that is.

I don't see other issues.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nope didn't ask for anything - just expressed my concern because i have had two suicide attempts already and am scared as hell of it. I am on the right track why would i chance this medication with that much at stake. I thank you for your time. It is just hard to sit here after an auto accident (rear ended at 35mph) with medication that could potentually kill me. That seems like cruelty to me.

All meds and combinations are like this.
Some more than others
good luck again