Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

What is Hep C What are the symptons How long can a person

Customer Question

What is Hep C? What are the symptons? How long can a person have it before symtoms appear? How does a person get it? How is it passed from person to person? What are the treatment options?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Hepatitis C is an infection caused by a virus that attacks the liver and leads to inflammation.

Hepatitis C is passed through contact with contaminated blood - most commonly through needles shared during illegal drug use. however from contaminated surgical instruments, at barbar shops(in third world countries) etc this can get transfered. It can also get transfered by tattoing, by sharing common use items, by blood transfusions, mother to child during birth etc.

The incubation period, from the time of exposure to the virus until the onset of the disease, is one to six months.

Most patients have no symptoms. Early symptoms include poor appetite, nausea, aching muscles and joints. Later symptoms include yellowing of skin, mucous membranes, and whites of the eyes (jaundice), light-coloured stools and dark urine.

Hepatitis C can be treated by a combination of interferon alfa injections and ribavirin capsules. Half of the patients will benefit from the treatment. A person remain healthy trhoughout his life while having hep C.

I hope i have answered all your concerns.

Please ask for any query

please click accept if i have answered your question

DR Hasan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need clarification on the answer to my hep c question. Can it be transmitted through saliva? Or transmitted sexually? Does interferon kill the virus? What are the side affects of interferon?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your input.

Yes this can be transmitted through saliva.

Sexual transmission is not clear but data suggest that this is possible although risk is low. Its safer to have protected sex.

Interferon works as follows.

it helps defeat the virus in three ways:

1. By attaching to healthy cells to help defend against invading viruses.

2. By helping the immune system to stop the virus from multiplying.

3. By assisting the body in ridding itself of infected cells while preventing healthy cells from being infected. So yes it kills the virus. But definitely not always.

As far as side effects are concerned it can cause Flu-like symptoms typically include a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle and joint aches, fatigue, and weakness. These side effects may occur throughout treatment, but tend to be most pronounced during the first month of treatment and to diminish as treatment progresses. Increases sensitivity to sun called as photosensitivity. So, application of sunscreen to exposed areas and wearing of hat is recommended for patients receiving interferon therapy. Sllep disturbances, nausea, vomiting , abdominal pain etc.

I am sorry for the delay.

Ihope this helps you