Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

dr abby, do you know when I noticed the pink red flecks...when

dr abby,

do you know when I noticed the pink red flecks...when they started was a year and a half ago when I went to Mexico and became very ill (digestive) and my doc seems to think I caught some kind of infection or hep A, and since then my bowels havent quite digested properly..could that make sense as to the change in my movements
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Back then, it could have been blood causing the flecks. Some cases of travelers diarrhea do involve blood.

Traveler's diarrhea and/or hepatitis A should not cause a permanent change in your stool, though.

I still think you may have irritable bowel syndrome which does cause alternating diarrhea,constipation, cramping, etc.

Dr Abby