CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

getting pain in my left rib n across my chest..numbness

Customer Question

For the past 2 yrs i have been getting pain in my left rib n across my chest, during theses episodes i get what feels like numbness n tightness to. I have been told by my doctor that i have a protruding 3rd rib on my left side, but he referd to me x ray thinking i had a hernia, which was negative. I have had no tests since this and my rib is starting to hurt again.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. You may have something called costochondritis which is an inflammation of the cartilage of the rib cage. It can be temporary ( a few weeks) or can be long lasting ( several months to years) and depending on the extent of the inflammation, can be quite painful. Costochondritis responds very well to anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen) and the use of ice packs (bags of frozen vegetables at 15 minute intervals are very helpful), and gentle stretching of the pectoralis muscles two to three times a day. Here is an article to read that will help you to compare your symptoms: http://www.mayoclinic.com

Customer :

i have tried all of that in the past and nothing seems to work, i forgot to mention that if i turn to my left, my rib digs in to me skin and i can hardly move. i also get skipped heart beats during theses episodes. n a feeling of spasm in sternal area. i do remember using a excersise machine once which requires a twisting motion, and i felt something click in my sternum area, i was thinking this could have done something to my rib?

Customer :

can costochronditis cause the ribs to stick out and be out of shape? my left one is higher up than the other, and my left breast seems to have drooped since this has happend.

CamilleRN :

If there is swelling of the tissue it could cause the rib to stick out.

CamilleRN :

I really think your Doctor should take a second look..... he needs to find out why your rib is sticking out and what you can do to treat it.

Customer :

ok, thank you.

CamilleRN :

Id I can help you further with this please let me know. If I have helped you, please remember to click accept. Thank you and I wish you all the best:-)