Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

I have an ovarian cyst that is starting to bother me, non cancerous but about 4 cm. What o

I have an ovarian cyst that is starting to bother me, non cancerous but about 4 cm. What options can I pursue to feel better. My symptoms are extreme fatigue every other month which dehabilitates me. Also, I have an IUD that needs to be taken out, but its going to cost me $800 I dont have. What are the long term complications which may arise if I dont remove? It was due to come out in August 2011. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Which IUD do you have?
HOw long have you had the IUD in?
Is the cyst a simple cyst?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mirena, 5 yrs, I believe so since the doctor told me there is no issue w/ it at this time.. no cancer and they redid an mri and said the results were OK.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Well this really is no major issue to get the Mirena removed and I am wondering WHY it will cost $800 dollars to remove - this is a literally a QUICK 1 second pull on the strings and remove the IUD - it is NOT an $800 dollar procedure - it is a quick visit to an ob/gyn or even a nurse practitioner to remove this.
And, to help with the cyst - use of birth control pills could be used and hence this would bring the cyst down to a normal size.
But, if you had to leave the IUD in - it can be as it really will not cause any problems, but the recommendation is to remove the Mirena at the 5 year point.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, and if you have more questions, please ask
Thank you