Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat
8050997

swollen ankles for appox

We are going to be flying to next week a flight that is cross country and then connecting to an international flight. I have had swollen ankles for appox. 3 weeks, saw my personal physician this past Tues. and he attributes it to poor circulation and advises i stay off my feet as much as possible and elevate legs.....i do hear him, however, would you have any additional advice. Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
Since you are having swollen feet and travelling by air then I would strongly suggest you that during flight you keep moving your legs .If you will let the feet stay in a position then clots can be formed in the legs which can cause devastating life conditions.Rest keeping the legs in upright is also fine.
Regards,
Dr.Naeem.
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Expert:  Nurse Mandy replied 3 years ago.

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer. I am another expert with some additional information regarding your concern.

You should look into purchasing some TED hose before your trip. These are tight fitting socks that go to your knees that puts pressure on your legs to keep clots from forming and can also help with swelling. I highly suggest you get these.

You should be able to purchase these at your local medical supply store, but if you can get your doctor to write a prescription for them a lot of time insurance will pay some if not fully for them.

While sitting on the plane, move your feet up and down (ankle pumps) and lift your feet slightly off the floor and move your ankle around in circles or for fun you can write the alphabet with your feet, anything to keep them moving and the blood flowing. This in combination with the TED hose should keep your swelling and chance of developing a clot to a minimum.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. If you have any further questions please let me know. Have a good day.

Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience: LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat