Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

I am hypoglycemic/borderline diabetic (mine is genetic), I

Customer Question

I am hypoglycemic/borderline diabetic (mine is genetic), I have been having some numbness in my hands and feet, and I have an extremely difficult time with gaining weight. I don't want to be obese, but I want to be at a healthy weight by gaining a few more pounds. I went on vacation, and ate so much food I thought I was going to burst, to my surprize, I only gained one pound!! Is there something I can do to safely gain a few more pounds, and to keep them on?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
To gain weight you should take protein diet more and do exercise regularly.Moreover you will drink plenty of liquids. Hopefully, it will help you in gaining of weight in next 4 to 5 weeks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I eat alot of things like peanuts, and lean meat, and I feel physically stonger, but it does not seem to be adding very much weight. I'm about 5' 4" and my weight goes from about 125-130. I know that for some people that is a healthy range, but it's mostly muscle, and I am really skinny. I get alot of comments about that, "You're no bigger then a minute", "Are you anorexic", "Do you have a tape worm"? etc. Is there anything else I can try?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
You must go for investigating your thyroid hormone levels.Because some time increase in thyroid levels cause patient to lose weight and get thinner .As this hormone increases metabolic rate.Secondly,choose a portion of a protein source such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, legumes or tofu and serve with a side of green and colorful vegetables. Add a serving of starchy foods such as potatoes, sweet corn, rice or pasta as energy-dense carbohydrate sources. You can add a few extra calories to your vegetables and starches by topping them with butter, olive oil, sauces or cheese. Here are a few tips to get you started:
Have an extra slice of whole-grain toast with peanut butter at breakfast.
Add extra cheese to an omelet.
Slice an apple and serve with almond butter.
Stir chopped nuts into plain yogurt and top with honey.
Carry a bag of trail mix for a convenient snack.
Serve yourself larger portions of starchy vegetables like potatoes and sweet corn.
Add calories with a healthy beverage such as milk, 100% fruit juices, or vegetable juice.