Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I mean to ask you...why would my GP feel my abdomen and listen

I mean to ask you...why would my GP feel my abdomen and listen with a stethescope???

was he listening for bowel sounds...and could you hear if there was something wrong with my bowels???
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Roxy,

We feel the abdomen to check for an enlarged liver (which is in the right upper abdomen), enlarged spleen (which is located in the left upper abdomen), aortic aneurysms (near the belly button) or any unusual masses.
We also look for any tenderness when palpating the abdomen (many people have some mild discomfort when we do deep palpation).

When listening with our stethoscope, we are listening to bowel sounds...they should be present throughout the abdomen.
If no bowel sounds, this can indicate paralysis of the bowel (called an ileus).
High pitched sounds can indicate an obstruction--however we cannot base our diagnosis solely on the sounds we hear.

We also listen for bruits or a whooshing sound over the arteries of the kidneys. This indicates narrowing of the arteries (which can cause high blood pressure).

Hope that makes sense..

Let me know if you have any other questions about the exam,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was also wondering if I could have micro tears that may not be visible duringa rectal exam....because sometimes when I have a movements it kind of feels like butt starts burning on the way out....

and even now after the diarrhea my bum is itchy and burning?? My GP said i did not have a fissure or hemrrhoids...also could a micro tear cause a bit of bleeding like very very minor???

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Yes, small anal tears can be hard to see. These can cause bleeding..however I am not convinced that what you saw was blood. It is possible, though.

The burning and itching is almost certainly due to the diarrhea and anal irritation.

The hemorrhoid cream with cortisone should help or you can use wipes with witch hazel.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok sounds great...I seriously do not know why I am still so stressed out over this....especially since I have seen a GP 2x about this..plus chatted to a few of you on here....

I am being crazy....

I am extremely healthy, great energy...run 4x a week...great appetite...but am obsessed with my crazy movements!!!

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I know, it is something I wish you could be less focused on.
You are very healthy with no reason for worry.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know...

I think I just have to stop myself...and stop looking and just relax...and make a choice to forget about this...

it is just so hard..I am sure I have spent hundreds of dollors on this site because of my bowels...it is just so silly

anyhow thanks for answering my questions...I very much appreciate it...

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
I am happy to answer your questions.

For a while, it will be a conscious choice you will have to make to not look.
It will feel very uncomfortable to not look for a while but if you can make it through a few weeks without looking, it will get easier.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States