Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat
8050997

ok so here is where im at. I have had painful bowel movements

Customer Question

ok so here is where im at. I have had painful bowel movements and its seems as if the bowels is thinner than usual. . Its not like a pencil or anything. So i felt and there is a lump on the inside of my anal opening. I am scared because i dont know what this could be... I had a colonoscopy in 2007......said i jus thaad some internal hemmroids and colitis minor. What could this be? Its painful and has been there a few weeks.......

I am set up for a barium enema in a week..but that thought of anything going in just scares me....
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Mandy replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mandy. Thank you for using Just Answer. I am happy to help you with your concern.

Healthy bowel movements should have a curve to them and be large and thick. Thin bowel movements can indicate a serious problem like a blockage or colon cancer, however it could also be due to less serious problems like polyps or the internal you were found to have or a lack of fiber in your diet. The internal hemorrhoid may be causing your anal opening to be smaller causing you to have thinner stool. The lump you are feeling is probably a hemorrhoid.

The pain could be caused by constipation, growths in the colon or the hemorrhoid.

If you are truly concerned then make an appt to see your doc this week or go to an urgent care facility.

Things you can do to see if symptoms improve are increase your fluid intake, water and 100% fruit juice is best, try to stay away from caffeine. Increase your fiber intake as well and eat fresh fruits and veggies and see if this helps. You can also try a stool softener as well, take as directed. You can try a home enema as well.

Your doctor may want to do a repeat colonoscopy since it has been 4 years just to make sure nothing else is going on.

Have a good day.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am doing a barium enema next week, would this show it?

Yes, it should show any abnormalities including growths, polyps, hemorrhoids, ulcers, diverticuli and cancer.

You can try the suggestions I gave you in the meantime for comfort. You can also try an over the counter pain pill like Tylenol for the discomfort as well.

Good luck and thanks again for using Just Answer.