911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

Thanks for the last answer. It seems that my father already

Customer Question

Thanks for the last answer.

It seems that my father already has his MRI and I will be able to find out more by speaking with his doctor.

If they suggest the Lumbarfusion and Disectomy, I would like to know:

1. What is the difference with the method shown in the link/video that you have sent versus the method shown in below link:?

2. If he needs Lumbar.... but does not favor a complicated/heavy surgery, how much would he be expecting from Microdisectomy!?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

unfortunately, since i am not a spine surgeon, i can not get into the benefits or downside of either procedure. however, i CAN tell you this.

what you want for your father is for the disc protrusion to be isolated and easily reached by an operating scope. this would allow for the microdiscectomy.

a fusion is typically done if there is instability in the lower spine along with the disc protrusion. AND, if a fusion is needed, then each spine surgeon has his or her favorite procedure to do the fusion.

so the first question would be if a simple procedure like a discectomy will suffice. the recovery is simple.

he wants to avoid a fusion if at all possible, especially at his age, as it comes with many complications and once a segment is fused it is nearly inevitable that, sometime in the future, he will get another disc herniation and might require another fusion. before long he is worse off than he is now.

so, i don't know if i answered your question, but before agreeing to a fusion, i would ask very specifically if a less invasive and debilitating procedure can be done. also, if he has not had epidural steroid injections these can often provide great relief and buy time for the problem to resolve over time. most disc herniation pain resolves in a six month period.

these questions, and they are all good ones, should be directed to the spine specialist he eventually sees, but again, if a fusion can be avoided it should be.

does this answer your question?

Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.
i see you have resposted this question.... did you see my reply above? we are running duplicate questions here. please let me know if you can see my answer above.