physician123
physician123, Doctor
Experience:  MD
16173041

does a tibial leg fracture below the knee need to be in a

does a tibial leg fracture below the knee need to be in a cast
Category: Health
Expert:  physician123 replied 3 years ago.

physician123 :

physician123 :

Welcome to just answer.

physician123 :

I am sorry to hear of your discomfort .

physician123 :

As to answer you ....tibial fractures of the shaft not badly displaced and that are well alligned should be treated with a cast .

physician123 :

Your doctor can make this decision after seeing the type and extent of the fracture on the X ray .

physician123 :

YOu there ?

Customer:

been to doctors.had x ray.doc says 4 weeks on crutches.no cast.bend my knee and raise my leg for 10 mins a day.fracture occured on 27 aug

Customer:

seems too sore not to have a cast on

physician123 :

Can you tell me what part of the tibia was fractured ?

physician123 :

Was it the metaphyseal fracture or cortical?

physician123 :

Is it the upper part or lower ?

Customer:

tibia plateau.just below the knee

physician123 :

Sorry for the delay ...the net got disconnected .

physician123 :

The fracture of the tibial plateau does not need a cast .

physician123 :

You need to boy your leg in a brace .

physician123 :

put

physician123 :

That is the reason your doctor did not put a cast.

physician123 :

You also need to avoid bearing weight on your leg .

Customer:

what do u mean by boy in a brace

physician123 :

That was a typo error...I am sorry

physician123 :

What I meant to write was that you need to put your leg in a brace .

physician123 :

A cast is not required .

Customer:

what type of brace

physician123 :

You need a functional brace .

physician123 :

This is a brace which allows around 30 to 40 degree of movement .

physician123 :

You should discuss this option with your doctor.

Customer:

should i go back to docs.i only got crutches

physician123 :

Yes,you should go and discuss the option of a brace with your doctor .

physician123 :

I hope this answers you and helps you with your apprehensions.
Do let me know if you have any further doubts.
Please click on the green accept button if this answers you as it is only then that will I be credited for my work.
Thank you.

physician123 :

the soreness will also reduce with the use of the brace .

physician123 :

I hope this answers you ...

physician123 :

Do let me know if you have further doubts.

physician123 :

Please click on the green accept button in order to accept the answer.

physician123 :

Thank you .

Customer:

cheers XXXXX XXXXX help

physician123 :

Take care

physician123 :

I wish you a speedy recovery and great health ...

physician123 :

Please hit accept .

physician123 :

Thank you ...

physician123 :

Do you have further questions ?

physician123, Doctor
Experience: MD
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.