Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK
19472044

C SECTION..HURT VERY MUCH WHEN THEY INSERT THE EPIDURAL IN LOWER BACK

Customer Question

DURING A C SECTION IS IT SUPPOSED TO HURT VERY MUCH WHEN THEY INSERT THE EPIDURAL IN LOWER BACK? AS I SCREAMED IN AGONY AS IT WAS GOING IN THIS WAS AN ERMAGENCY C SECTION THANKS
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
I think there was nothing wrong in insertion of catheter.Only reason behind pain was lack of local anaesthesia or inadequate local anaesthesia.However,spinal injection was at right place.
Hope it helped .
Regards,
Dr.Naeem.
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok can the lack of anaesthesia be harmfull in an ermagency c section? as she had stopped moving and was in distess took them 59 minutes for whole operation

Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
How is she now?Can she move her lower body?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no she sadly died in june 2006 28 weeks into pregnancy as i caught deadly infection
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
Inadequate local anaesthesia will not numb the skin so you will feel pain while the doctor penetrate the skin.However,it is not harmful.Patient can go in distress due to a number of reason like too much bleeding etc.Anaesthesia is not one culprit for this.
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok but spinal c sections are not supposed to hurt are they ? i was fully awake but in agony i had the same before when i had son and it didnt hurt one bit so i guess something went wrong ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how come the doctor took a swab from my placenta after my baby was born and 5 days after it grew came back i had listeria ? as there are so many swabs u can do to se what is wrong but he does none of the others only doing a swab for listeria why is that? does that mean he kind of known in first place?

Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
If a baby is born and it has signs of Listeriosis (listeria infection) then she will just go for a single swab then going for all of the tests.Normally,if mother has listeria then baby will be born either still birth or with some congenital anomaly.Probably she was clever enough to find pin point diagnosis instead of roaming here and there.
Regards,
Dr.Naeem.
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
as i went in to hospital as my baby stopped moving how can anyone be as clever to automatically do a swab for listeria? when apparantly i showed no symtoms of the disease in first place as u have to have symtoms to do listeria test on a pregnant woman i know that is fact its why it so hard to detect , surely he would have took other tests on placenta ? could they have known it 2 weeks before i went in hospital with severe deyhardration? but sent me home day after
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi i had a grade 2 urgent c section should the baby be born within 30 mins in uk ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when a baby is showing sighns of distress in the womb what heartrace would be showing to raise concern?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for a late reply.A baby 's heart beat lesss than 60 or its heart rhythm looking irregular on recording will be take as fetal distress in the womb.Some time low movement and passage of meconium(fetal feces)is the first sign noticed .The baby should be born not more than 30 minutes after distress.
Any more questions do ask.
Thanks.
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks my daughters was 176 bpm could that be a sighn of distress or is that normal ?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Normal fetal heart rate is between 120 to 180.However,in case of distress of fetus there start dips coming in the heart beat recording of fetal heart.Like when we started recording his heart was beating at 176 but all of a sudden his heart beat reduced to like 90 for a while and then again came to its mean line .If this phenomenon will occur 2 to 3 times then we will take it as fetal distress.
Hope it helped.
Best Regards,
Dr.Naeem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no end diastolic fow seen within the interrmittent reversible of flow Could this lead to still birth?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
In this case may be fetus was having a cardiac anomaly which can lead to a still birth.
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
does listeria infection leave your body after you have given birth by c section without any antiobiotics ?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
If you are thinking you had listeriosis in pregnancy then you should had experienced such symptoms:
a fever
chills
muscle aches
tummy cramps
diarrhoea
nausea
If you do not had these symptoms then you were not exposed to listeria.Treatment is through antibiotics .However,if you were pregnant at that time then baby can get this infection .Mostly it leads to still birth or miscarriage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they grew listoria monocylogene sterotype 4 they grew this from a placenta swab
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
Actually,listeria monocytogens has the property to hide itself and remain alive inside the immune cells of a human being.Normal healthy people cells don't let listeria hide in them by combating the infectioous agent.However,pregnant ladies or new borns who are having weak immunity are unable to combat the organsim completely.So Listeria hide in their cells and cause infection when their natural defence is lowered.In your case I think you got listeriosis in pregnacy or just before pregnancy (maybe it was taken as flu at that time).Listeria aattacked the baby and infected him as well leading to still birth .However,it was detected on placental swab culture.
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok after having the c section should have i had antiobiotics to treat the listeria as i didnt get any of hospital? i was in agony for 2 weeks thanx
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
Your listeria antibody levels should be checked first of all .That will guide towards next line of action.
Thanks
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi the hospital dishcharge on day 3 results for listeria came day 5 they never informed me to go back in to be tested or get any antiobiotics should they have told me ? only found out it was listeria when health envirement people come to my door 10 days later thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would you use a regional anatheshia or general anatheshia for urgant ermagency c section? thanks

Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
When we insert the catheter of spinal anesthesia in the back ,before inserting its wide bore needle we apply local anaesthesia at the back leading to easy insertion of that needle.In emergency we can use either general anesthesia or spinal one .Any one can be used.
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok which would be the fastest regional or general anatheshia in urgency ermagency c section ?

Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
General anaesthesia will be fastest.
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor,UK
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your questions.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi again the hospital took a high vaginal swab and a swab from my placenta which result for either would come back first? thanks
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 3 years ago.
High vaginal swab result should come first hopfully.Will take at least 7 to 10 days.
Thanks,
Dr.Naeem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi could you tell me if listeria would have shown up 2 weeks before she was deliverd through a blood test ? thanks