Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My dad is in ICU and is very sick. He is 76 years old and

My dad is in ICU and is very sick. He is 76 years old and has dementia. He was admitted to the ER two days ago and then transferred to ICU. I have tried to be with my mom at the hospital as much as I can but have not been able to be there the whole time. The time that I have been there has been so disheartening to me that I do not know what to do. The communication I have had with the staff is very poor. The doctors I have talked to are even worse. Various support staff have behaved in ways that are extremely inappropriate. His nurses seem to try to do their best, XXXXX XXXXX performance is even substandard and much of what goes on seems to be out of their hands. What can I do to get some help in this situation?

I understand your frustration. The doctors have a duty to talk to the relatives and precisely tell what is the exact diagnosis, what is the treatment being done and about the prognosis. This is further more true for the people who are seriously sick. A lack of communication does not make a good medic. Now coming to the approach to get the proper and adequate information; the best way is to talk to the treating doctor again. This may need some effort as your previous communication has not been much fruitful. But a trial should be given. If this does not resolve the problem; you will have to talk to the administration of the hospital. Usually administration is very sensitive to these issues and you would be provided a complete information.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun