Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My allergies have gotten really bad lately. I was having a

My allergies have gotten really bad lately. I was having a lot of sneezing and so forth but that has gotten better with an Rx for fluticasone. However, what has bothered me most is the itching. This has gone on for at least 2 months. My PCP wouldn't give me a week of Pred which is what usually cuts this out. (It is a new PCP). So now it seems I've declared myself and have had a red, raised and blotchy rash on my arm and other rashes that come and go for about a week now. I'm still wanting a week of pred to knock it out. I also have one nare that is swollen and mostly blocked even with medication.

Now, on the other side, I am diabetic, but I control my blood sugar well. I can count carbs and sliding scale is a breeze. I am also an RN.

So I am just wanting to know if pred would be appropriate for me in this situation. I forgot to tell you that the cortisone creams aren't helping. Just wondering if I should ble along or
go to the walk in clinic.

With your symptoms of itching, off and on rash, diabetes (though well controlled), swollen and blocked nare; Prednisone should be withheld. Going to walk in clinic is advised for examination. The doctor may decide, if you need some blood work. I feel that these symptoms are not only due to allergy but there is also some concomitant mild grade infection. Prednisone can aggravate the infection.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun