Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Initiating around 3 30 PM, was a bellyache, moderately uncomfortable,

Initiating around 3:30 PM, was a bellyache, moderately uncomfortable, a full, pressure pain. I then began having random brief, but sharp pains on the right side of my lower abdomen. The “symptoms” gradually including pain in my lower right back. Within a few minutes it went from being moderate (4-5,on a scale of 1 to 10) to waxing and waning between 7-9. Now, time continues the is more concentrated in the lower right back. Repositioning does not help at all and my right arm feels funny, with sort of a tingling in my right hand. I’ve taken Tylenol but it is not had time to have any effect. No fever, been mildly nauseated -no appetite since afternoon. I’m 49 years old, female and in very good health. The symptoms correlate to something that is likely to pass? Is there something else that might help? Should I see the Dr. tomorrow if it continues? Or is this something that warrants going to the ER?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.

Are you having any urinary symptoms?
Pain in the groin area?
Are you finding it difficult to sit still?
Any fever?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No urinary symptoms, i.e. it is not painful or even uncomfortable when urinating, coloration odor are no different than usual. No pain in the groin area. No fever. I am finding it difficult sit still not because of jitteriness but rather being compel to seek a position that alleviates or minimizes pain. Haven't found it yet.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you for the additional detail.

One possibility is that you have a kidney stone. Kidney stones, as you may know, can cause severe pain. The location of the pain depends on where the stone is located.
If the stone is not close to the bladder there will not be any urinary symptoms.
People with kidney stones tend to pace around...it is difficult for them to find a comfortable position. Nausea is common as well.

The numbness/tingling of the arm is a difficult one for me to explain, however. Low back pain should not be causing arm symptoms. Anxiety/panic can lead to numbness and tingling but this is usually bilateral.

Given the severity of the pain and the arm symptom, I do recommend that you go to the ER for evaluation. A urinalysis (to look for microscopic blood), xray or CT scan (if kidney stone suspected) would be some tests that may be done.
You also need a good neurologic exam given the arm symptoms.

I hope that you feel better soon,

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can not stand up straight, efforts to do so are too painful. Can get mild relief for a min or two on my knees in a semi fetal position. Would that correlagte to kidney stones as well?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 2 years ago.
It could be a kidney stone..it could also be muscular or a disk bulging in the back (although if it were a primary back problem it would not have started with abdominal pain).
A inflamed or ruptured appendix can also cause back pain--since it started with pain in the right lower abdomen, this also needs to be considered.

I do think you need to be seen in the ER.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States