Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

I have been diagnosed with Mortons neuroma in my right foot

I have been diagnosed with Morton's neuroma in my right foot between the 2nd and 3 toes and also the 3rd and 4th toes. Nothing abmornal was seen on the X-ray. I had cortisone shots one Dec 6, and again on Dec 29, 2010 between toes 3 & 4. Got some relief. Still some pain. returned on Jan 19, 2011 for another injection between toes 2 & 3. After the third shot I was pain free for about 6 months. For these procedures I went to a Podiatrist. He mentioned future injections or possible surgery if the pain returned.
I started having pain agaain in June. The pain is now 24/7 and hurts more when I am off of my feet and at night. Even reducing walking had not helped. I have gone to a Orthopaedic surgeon for a second opinion on Aug 29, 2011. He has perscribed Prednisone for 2 weeks, possibably a shot prior to an upcoming lengthy trip and surgery as an option.
I have suffered with foot problems since my 20's and am now 64.
1) Would you recommend surgery and why?
2) Who would you go to do to the surgery, a Podiatrist or a Orthopaedic Surgeon and why?
Thank you.
KA
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,
Greetings.Morton's Neuroma(MN)is a thickening of the tissue of the nerve of the toes.These pass between the bones of the foot and are thickened due to pressure,irritation or compression from nearby structures.This causes a sharp burning pain in the ball of the foot.This normally occurs between the 3rd and 4th toes.If steroid injections do not succeed in treating the MN ,decompression of tissue around the nerve,cryoablation of the nerve or excision of the MN would be required for effective treatment.The relief from other modalities would be shortlived.Surgery would be the answer.Orthotic shoe inserts may help relieve the pressure till such time as is convenient for the surgery.A orthopaedic surgeon would probably get a MRI scan done to evaluate the best way of treating this.It would be best if a Orthopaedic Surgeon does the surgery as he would be in a better position to take a decision involving the nerves and the best method of relieving the pain.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice