Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

The palms of my hands are turning red/ blotchy any ideas what

The palms of my hands are turning red/ blotchy any ideas what might be happening?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Redness of the hands/palms can be due to capillary dilation. This is a common response that the body has to try to cool off. We transfer more heat to the air by increasing blood flow to capillary beds near the skin..

Anthony Bray MD :

There can be many factors associated with how open or closed the capillary beds are however>>heat is just one of these factors...

Anthony Bray MD :

The blotchy appearance can be associated with a decrease in flow. It is referred to as mottling. It may be casued by low blood pressure as one possible cause.

Anthony Bray MD :

Sometimes people will have mottling when they are fighting an infection..

Anthony Bray MD :

Hormaonal factors can play a role in the vascular changes that may be seen as red palms or mottling.

Anthony Bray MD :

Sometimes vascular changes can be associated with autoimmune disease >>especially those with a componant of vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels)

Customer: it usually happens when I am at work. Could it be due to being at work I am constantly moving around sometimes it happens when I get hot. And my hands feel warm.
Anthony Bray MD :

Certain medications may cause vasoconstriction and this may cause a mottling apearance.Smoking can cause vasoconstriction and so this can be a factor in the mottled appearance of the skin.

Anthony Bray MD :

Sure that could be the case. When you move around your body will generate more heat.

Anthony Bray MD :

Your body will make a variety of adjustments to disperse excess heat...

Customer: Ok that makes sense. I was just curious because k found it weird. Sometimes it also itches but not normally my hands are usually just warm with it.
Customer: What about the times it happens when I am cold
Anthony Bray MD :

OK well I hope this helps. As long as it does not bother you I would not worry too much about it. I would keep an eye on the itching symptom if this should be an ongoing or increased symptom.

Anthony Bray MD :

When cold I would expect that you would be more likely to have the mottled appearance than bright red and warm.

Anthony Bray MD :

Some people are susceptible to vasoconstriction of the blood vessels to the hands to the point that the fingers ache. This is referred to as Raynaud's phenomenon when severe.

Anthony Bray MD :

When you come inside from the cold and warm up then you may have the warm red palms again...

Anthony Bray MD :

If it is not bothering you then I would not be so inclined to worry about it. If you have other symptoms of concern then further evaluation may be warranted. If you have other symptoms for example (feel abnormally warm compared to your peers, rapid heart rate, weight loss >>these could be associated with an over-active thyroid for example)

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have much of that itching or develop a frank rash then allergies, or auto-immune disease may be screened for...

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have other questions and I will be happy to get back with you. if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice