There have never been any reported cases of that amoeba found on fruits or vegetables. Amoeba most likely cannot survive without water so if the fruits and vegetables were dry, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
No one understands the risks associated with this amoeba. This amoeba is also not something new - there are about 4 cases of deaths per year secondary to amoeba exposure, it is a very very very small number. Scientists and doctors cannot understand why some people die when they are exposed to the amoeba but 99.9% have no effect from it. So you are not the only one who doesn't understand the risks :)
Yes, you can consider this a non-risk situation, both because the tomatoes were dry and because there is just such an extremely small chance of contact. I don't know where you live, but most cases that do occur in the southern states of the Unites States.
So I can reassure you that you and your kids are completely safe.
Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.
If I answered your questions, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.
Yes, it is very scary sometimes when you read the news and hear what happens but there is only so much you can do to protect yourself (sanitizer, cleaning hands, etc). But, in reality, these cases are extremely rare and you shouldn't stress yourself over it.
My only recommendation is to rinse fruits/vegetables that are cleaned with tap water with filtered water (like from the bottles or installed filter system under the kitchen sink). Also, to feel safer, you can always have a pot of boiled water (it can be boiled in the morning) and later used for rinsing. Not too many bacteria survive boiling temperatures so in the good old days (before all of our technology), that's how things were cleaned. Just an idea :)
Hope this helps.
I do have to step away from the computer but if you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them for you as soon as I get home and get back on the computer.