Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

i bite my cuticles and therefore have alot od dead skin, my

i bite my cuticles and therefore have alot od dead skin, my skin was absolutely not bleeding at the time just red from biting them, i went into a public bathroom and may have touched bloody applicator,should i be concerned about HIV?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you had no open and/or bleeding wounds on your cuticles, you do not have to worry about HIV transmission. In order for HIV to be transmitted, it needs to have blood to blood contact. Also, HIV virus dies within minutes after it is no longer in the human body and, chances are, the bloody applicator has been the bathroom for longer than a few minutes.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to assist you further.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes,

Julia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does it have to be open AND bleeding?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if the cuticles are openfrom biting them, but NOT Bleeding? Is that ok?

It has to be open but not necessarily active bleeding. If you have a fresh open wound and its seeping fluid or blood, that wound potentially can contact HIV virus. But you literally need to touch that wound to a dirty applicator with fresh blood on it.

If that wasn't what happened, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I hope that clarifies your question.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If I anwered your question, please do click 'Accept' button so I may get credit for my work.

Julia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what exactly do you mean by Fresh blood? Doesn't hiv die right when exposed to air?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im just very OCD

Yes, HIV dies within minutes of being exposed to the air. So the sanitary napkin or tampon literally had to have fresh blood (not dried up) and that blood would have to come in contact with your open cuticle in order to even have a possibility of HIV transmission.

I understand your concern.

I am here if you have any other quesions.

Julia

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SO WOULD YOU SAY THAT ONCE A FEMALE TAKES THE APPLICATOR OUT OF HER VAGINA, AND IS EXPOSED TO AIR THE MINUTE SHE TAKES IT OUT, THE HIV VIRUS DIES?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and also, i've heard that it has to almost be a lot of blood for you to potentially get exposed? is that not correct?

The virus doesn't die within a minute but it dies within several minutes. If the blood was dry, you don't have to worry about it. If the blood didn't touch your open cuticle (where you had to wash it off), there is nothing to worry about.

Well, you don't have to have a lot of blood to get exposed but, of course, chances are higher if there is a lot of blood. Believe me, there have been no reported cases that someone got HIV from touching a dirty applicator. It would be so highly unlikely, that you really have nothing to worry about.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX anxious and have OCD

You are very welcome. I hope I was able to reassure you :)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so you think im fine?
Yes, I do, I think you are totally fine
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! You just made my day:-) I wish i wasn't so obsessive compulsive. Im on medication for that and anxiety.

Have a great day!

You are very welcome.

You have a great day too :)