DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

I feel very full and bloated after eating a small meal. I

Customer Question

I feel very full and bloated after eating a small meal. I also have pain in left flank radiating to abdomen at times. the flank pain comes and goes sometimes 2-3 weeks lapse between the pain. I also experience nausea sometimes especially in the morning. It too comes and goes with 2-3 week lapses. I have had ct scan and blood work. I have a small kidney stone however it is inside the kidney so the dr says that is not the cause of my discomfort or nausea.
The feeling of fullness is a somewhat new symptom.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
First of all have you had a colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes at age 50. i have also seen a colorectal dr recently for constipation. He did a voiding proctogram and i swallowed a capsule with tiny rings and had KUB on day 3 and 5. Everything normal.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Ok
and how about swallowing study or upper endoscopy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
First you should have an H pylori breath test
To make sure you don't have the ulcer bug.
If indicated on exam, a swallowing study to look at gastric emptying.

Bloating can cause discomfort in a lot of places including the flank.

If the h pylori is positive this can cause all sorts of symptoms such as gastritis, bloating etc.

I would also recommend a celiac panel test. Gluten sensitivity can cause all of these symptoms.

I suggest a GI doctor for all of this.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I had a metabolic panel recently. MY ALT and eGFR were low but when the nurse called with results, she said everything was ok. I saw these results as she sent me a copy of the lab results.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
ALT low is fine.
low GFR means kidney disease if truly low and needs immediate investigation with a nephrologist or internal medicine doctor.
All sorts of symptoms can come if this is significant.
good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. would u please give some information about the tests you recommended? Such as prep, discomfort, done in hosp or dr office etc.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
H pylori just a breath test
Swallowing study such as swallowing barium and watching it on ex ray.
no prep for either
celiac panel a blood test

good luck again
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much. You have been very helpful
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome anytime
please don't for get to click accept
come back anytime